Re: Tor not working

Hi  *Spin Doctor*   :

> Hello,
>
> Yes, I have those settings (I'm using the Tor button extension for
> Firefox) and it worked fine yesterday, but today it will not connect
> to any site. I do have the latest stable version with Vidalia
> installed, so that shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Any other suggestions?

1- May be Mac OS firewall should be checked first (ipfw)

http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-osx.html.en

«
If you have a personal firewall that limits your computer's ability to
connect to itself, be sure to allow connections from your local
applications to local port 8118 and port 9050. If your firewall blocks
outgoing connections, punch a hole so it can connect to at least TCP ports
80 and 443, and then see this FAQ entry.
»

and

2- May be some file permission to be checked with chmod

http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#ItDoesntWork

«
When you are running Tor on Mac OS X and Vidalia isn´t responding (circling
umbrella) or when you see a message in your syslog like:

Jun 31 12:34:56 Abcd crashdump[354] <Error>: tor crashed
Jun 31 12:34:56 Abcd crashdump[354] <Error>: crash report written to:
/Users/mring/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/tor.crash.log

And in your crash report you find a lines like

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

It is much likely that your torrc was set up with wrong permissions. chmod
o+rw torrc should fix your problem. Its very lovely from Mac OS X to kill
the Tor process with a EXC_BAD_ACCESS instead of invalid permissions. This
problem should be fixed in the next few releases.

When it's working, Tor should report that it 'has successfully opened a
circuit. Looks like it's working.'
»

3-

Also you say :
"It worked fine yesterday, but today it will not connect to any site"

You may find some hints from the Tor error and warning messages
(in Vidalia) or from your firewall log and so on...

Did Mac OS have a feature equivalent to the System Restore in W xp ?
This can be the most simple things to do.

Let us know.
:)
--
Claude LaFrenière