Re: "Practical onion hacking: finding the real address of Tor clients"

On Friday 20 October 2006 14:53, Fabian Keil wrote:

> > For a user new to Tor, the documentation is often confusing or
> > ambiguous, important information is missing, and sometimes minor details
> > over emphasized (especially in Tor FAQ). Tor is a young product and
> > hopefully these problems will be remedied as it grows. In the meantime
> > though, some users are depending on it for anonymity. You can be sure
> > that someone in Red China, searching for information his or her
> > government does not want them to see, is not likely to have mis
> > configured or misused Tor for want of trying to get it right.
>
> I assume you mean the opposite of the last sentence?

I can't speak for the OP but I think he meant what he said. If someone is
using Tor, they are *trying* to be anonymous. Whether they are successful or
not depends on how well they've digested the FAQ - and I think it is a fair
point that some things (such as javascript/flash and the perils of unencypted
traffic) require more emphasis than others (e.g. why is tor so slow, how
often does tor change its paths).

> Anyway, there will always be some people who don't
> understand the documentation, or don't even bother to
> read it. That's the case for every product and not a
> Tor specific problem.

I think there are subtleties to the safe use of Tor that require some
technical understanding. And that is a Tor specific problem which shouldn't
be overlooked.

--

KlamAV - An Anti-Virus Manager for KDE - http://www.klamav.net
TorK   - A Tor Controller For KDE      - http://tork.sf.net