Re: accounting vs long lived nodes

Watson Ladd wrote:
> David Vennik wrote:

>>> Doesn't tor already have this? Connections to certain ports (21, 22, 80
>>> among others) that are typically reserved for long-lived connections
>>> will avoid nodes that have been up for less than a certain amount of time.
>>>
>> you are missing my point. if a node has bandwidth accounting configured
>> it may stay up for a week but it could hibernate in five seconds. this
>> is not helpful for users of persistent connection based services. some
>> kind of flag on the server description suggesting that the server is
>> liable to go offline at any time would be very useful for preventing the
>> endless string of timeouts that using tor for these kinds of connections
>> causes.
> Why doesn't tor close the connection when the circuit fails?

that's a good question, it sometimes does but sometimes not. i think it
depends on whether its the exit or entry node which dies, if the
middleman dies then neither end has a connection drop... i'm not sure
how it works, i'm sure someone who knows what happens can explain it to us

--
http://davidvennik.blogspot.com/
begin:vcard