Tor 0.2.0.8-alpha is out

This eighth development snapshot fixes a crash bug that's been bothering
us since February 2007, lets bridge authorities store a list of bridge
descriptors they've seen, gets v3 directory voting closer to working,
starts caching v3 directory consensus documents on directory mirrors,
and fixes a variety of smaller issues including some minor memory leaks.

The Windows bundle also includes the new development Torbutton
version 1.1.8, which improves usability and compatibility over 1.1.7:
http://torbutton.torproject.org/dev/ Windows users are encouraged to
back up their Firefox settings before upgrading.

https://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.2.0.8-alpha - 2007-10-12
  o Major features (router descriptor cache):
    - Store routers in a file called cached-descriptors instead of in
      cached-routers. Initialize cached-descriptors from cached-routers
      if the old format is around. The new format allows us to store
      annotations along with descriptors.
    - Use annotations to record the time we received each descriptor, its
      source, and its purpose.
    - Disable the SETROUTERPURPOSE controller command: it is now
      obsolete.
    - Controllers should now specify cache=no or cache=yes when using
      the +POSTDESCRIPTOR command.
    - Bridge authorities now write bridge descriptors to disk, meaning
      we can export them to other programs and begin distributing them
      to blocked users.

  o Major features (directory authorities):
    - When a v3 authority is missing votes or signatures, it now tries
      to fetch them.
    - Directory authorities track weighted fractional uptime as well as
      weighted mean-time-between failures.  WFU is suitable for deciding
      whether a node is "usually up", while MTBF is suitable for deciding
      whether a node is "likely to stay up."  We need both, because
      "usually up" is a good requirement for guards, while "likely to
      stay up" is a good requirement for long-lived connections.

  o Major features (v3 directory system):
    - Caches now download v3 network status documents as needed,
      and download the descriptors listed in them.
    - All hosts now attempt to download and keep fresh v3 authority
      certificates, and re-attempt after failures.
    - More internal-consistency checks for vote parsing.

  o Major bugfixes (crashes):
    - If a connection is shut down abruptly because of something that
      happened inside connection_flushed_some(), do not call
      connection_finished_flushing(). Should fix bug 451. Bugfix on
      0.1.2.7-alpha.

  o Major bugfixes (performance):
    - Fix really bad O(n^2) performance when parsing a long list of
      routers: Instead of searching the entire list for an "extra-info "
      string which usually wasn't there, once for every routerinfo
      we read, just scan lines forward until we find one we like.
      Bugfix on 0.2.0.1.
    - When we add data to a write buffer in response to the data on that
      write buffer getting low because of a flush, do not consider the
      newly added data as a candidate for immediate flushing, but rather
      make it wait until the next round of writing. Otherwise, we flush
      and refill recursively, and a single greedy TLS connection can
      eat all of our bandwidth. Bugfix on 0.1.2.7-alpha.

  o Minor features (v3 authority system):
    - Add more ways for tools to download the votes that lead to the
      current consensus.
    - Send a 503 when low on bandwidth and a vote, consensus, or
      certificate is requested.
    - If-modified-since is now implemented properly for all kinds of
      certificate requests.

  o Minor bugfixes (network statuses):
    - Tweak the implementation of proposal 109 slightly: allow at most
      two Tor servers on the same IP address, except if it's the location
      of a directory authority, in which case allow five. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (controller):
    - When sending a status event to the controller telling it that an
      OR address is readable, set the port correctly. (Previously we
      were reporting the dir port.) Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.

  o Minor bugfixes (v3 directory system):
    - Fix logic to look up a cert by its signing key digest. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.7-alpha.
    - Only change the reply to a vote to "OK" if it's not already
      set. This gets rid of annoying "400 OK" log messages, which may
      have been masking some deeper issue. Bugfix on 0.2.0.7-alpha.
    - When we get a valid consensus, recompute the voting schedule.
    - Base the valid-after time of a vote on the consensus voting
      schedule, not on our preferred schedule.
    - Make the return values and messages from signature uploads and
      downloads more sensible.
    - Fix a memory leak when serving votes and consensus documents, and
      another when serving certificates.

  o Minor bugfixes (performance):
    - Use a slightly simpler string hashing algorithm (copying Python's
      instead of Java's) and optimize our digest hashing algorithm to take
      advantage of 64-bit platforms and to remove some possibly-costly
      voodoo.
    - Fix a minor memory leak whenever we parse guards from our state
      file. Bugfix on 0.2.0.7-alpha.
    - Fix a minor memory leak whenever we write out a file. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.7-alpha.
    - Fix a minor memory leak whenever a controller sends the PROTOCOLINFO
      command. Bugfix on 0.2.0.5-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (portability):
    - On some platforms, accept() can return a broken address. Detect
      this more quietly, and deal accordingly. Fixes bug 483.
    - Stop calling tor_strlower() on uninitialized memory in some cases.
      Bugfix in 0.2.0.7-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (usability):
    - Treat some 403 responses from directory servers as INFO rather than
      WARN-severity events.
    - It's not actually an error to find a non-pending entry in the DNS
      cache when canceling a pending resolve. Don't log unless stuff is
      fishy. Resolves bug 463.

  o Minor bugfixes (anonymity):
    - Never report that we've used more bandwidth than we're willing to
      relay: it leaks how much non-relay traffic we're using. Resolves
      bug 516.
    - When looking for a circuit to cannibalize, consider family as well
      as identity. Fixes bug 438. Bugfix on 0.1.0.x (which introduced
      circuit cannibalization).

  o Code simplifications and refactoring:
    - Make a bunch of functions static. Remove some dead code.
    - Pull out about a third of the really big routerlist.c; put it in a
      new module, networkstatus.c.
    - Merge the extra fields in local_routerstatus_t back into
      routerstatus_t: we used to need one routerstatus_t for each
      authority's opinion, plus a local_routerstatus_t for the locally
      computed consensus opinion. To save space, we put the locally
      modified fields into local_routerstatus_t, and only the common
      stuff into routerstatus_t. But once v3 directories are in use,
      clients and caches will no longer need to hold authority opinions;
      thus, the rationale for keeping the types separate is now gone.
    - Make the code used to reschedule and reattempt downloads more
      uniform.
    - Turn all 'Are we a directory server/mirror?' logic into a call to
      dirserver_mode().
    - Remove the code to generate the oldest (v1) directory format.
      The code has been disabled since 0.2.0.5-alpha.