Re: German data rentention law

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:21:09AM +0100, Lexi Pimenidis wrote:

> Just for their (and your) information: the maximum possible penality
> for non-compliance is 500,000 EUR plus the fees of the law suit.

If you're running a middle-man only node on domestic broadband
the logging part is your provider's problem, no?</ianal>

(I asked a German provider (Hetzner) who told me they're not going to
log for colo customers, so there things will be more risky).

> I really appreciate Tor and I also appreciate people to stand up for
> Tor. But keeping Tor running without logging after January 1st and not
> being filthy rich *and* having having a tons of lawyers in your kitchen
> will IMHO be similar to suicide.
>
> There got to be another alternative - and I don't refer to logging.

Bullet-proof hosting or incorporating behind an offshore front would
come to mind -- both are not bargain options.

There are of course several other, illegal possibilities.