Tor 0.2.2.2-alpha and 0.2.2.3-alpha are out

Tor 0.2.2.2-alpha introduces our latest performance improvement for
clients: Tor tracks the average time it takes to build a circuit, and
avoids using circuits that take too long to build. For fast connections,
this feature can cut your expected latency in half. For slow or flaky
connections, it could ruin your Tor experience. Let us know if it does!

Tor 0.2.2.3-alpha fixes a few crash bugs in 0.2.2.2-alpha. The next
version will even fix a few more. :)

https://www.torproject.org/download.html.en

Changes in version 0.2.2.3-alpha - 2009-09-23
  o Major bugfixes:
    - Fix an overzealous assert in our new circuit build timeout code.
      Bugfix on 0.2.2.2-alpha; fixes bug 1103.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - If the networkstatus consensus tells us that we should use a
      negative circuit package window, ignore it. Otherwise we'll
      believe it and then trigger an assert. Bugfix on 0.2.2.2-alpha.

Changes in version 0.2.2.2-alpha - 2009-09-21
  o Major features:
    - Tor now tracks how long it takes to build client-side circuits
      over time, and adapts its timeout to local network performance.
      Since a circuit that takes a long time to build will also provide
      bad performance, we get significant latency improvements by
      discarding the slowest 20% of circuits. Specifically, Tor creates
      circuits more aggressively than usual until it has enough data
      points for a good timeout estimate. Implements proposal 151.
      We are especially looking for reports (good and bad) from users with
      both EDGE and broadband connections that can move from broadband
      to EDGE and find out if the build-time data in the .tor/state gets
      reset without loss of Tor usability. You should also see a notice
      log message telling you that Tor has reset its timeout.
    - Directory authorities can now vote on arbitary integer values as
      part of the consensus process. This is designed to help set
      network-wide parameters. Implements proposal 167.
    - Tor now reads the "circwindow" parameter out of the consensus,
      and uses that value for its circuit package window rather than the
      default of 1000 cells. Begins the implementation of proposal 168.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - Fix a remotely triggerable memory leak when a consensus document
      contains more than one signature from the same voter. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Fix an extremely rare infinite recursion bug that could occur if
      we tried to log a message after shutting down the log subsystem.
      Found by Matt Edman. Bugfix on 0.2.0.16-alpha.
    - Fix parsing for memory or time units given without a space between
      the number and the unit. Bugfix on 0.2.2.1-alpha; fixes bug 1076.
    - A networkstatus vote must contain exactly one signature. Spec
      conformance issue. Bugfix on 0.2.0.3-alpha.
    - Fix an obscure bug where hidden services on 64-bit big-endian
      systems might mis-read the timestamp in v3 introduce cells, and
      refuse to connect back to the client. Discovered by "rotor".
      Bugfix on 0.2.1.6-alpha.
    - We were triggering a CLOCK_SKEW controller status event whenever
      we connect via the v2 connection protocol to any relay that has
      a wrong clock. Instead, we should only inform the controller when
      it's a trusted authority that claims our clock is wrong. Bugfix
      on 0.2.0.20-rc; starts to fix bug 1074. Reported by SwissTorExit.
    - We were telling the controller about CHECKING_REACHABILITY and
      REACHABILITY_FAILED status events whenever we launch a testing
      circuit or notice that one has failed. Instead, only tell the
      controller when we want to inform the user of overall success or
      overall failure. Bugfix on 0.1.2.6-alpha. Fixes bug 1075. Reported
      by SwissTorExit.
    - Don't warn when we're using a circuit that ends with a node
      excluded in ExcludeExitNodes, but the circuit is not used to access
      the outside world. This should help fix bug 1090, but more problems
      remain. Bugfix on 0.2.1.6-alpha.
    - Work around a small memory leak in some versions of OpenSSL that
      stopped the memory used by the hostname TLS extension from being
      freed.
    - Make our 'torify' script more portable; if we have only one of
      'torsocks' or 'tsocks' installed, don't complain to the user;
      and explain our warning about tsocks better.

  o Minor features:
    - Add a "getinfo status/accepted-server-descriptor" controller
      command, which is the recommended way for controllers to learn
      whether our server descriptor has been successfully received by at
      least on directory authority. Un-recommend good-server-descriptor
      getinfo and status events until we have a better design for them.
    - Update to the "September 4 2009" ip-to-country file.