Re: any rough stats on bridges ?

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Karsten Loesing wrote:

On 10/19/2009 04:10 PM, John Case wrote:
It would be interesting if someone in the know could let us know how
many bridges are running ... I'd further be interested in the total
number that have been submitted over time, vs. the number that are
actually running now ... maybe some rough ideas as to their average
bandwidth, etc.

My understanding of the protocol leads me to believe that this is benign
information.

The latest information that I can give you is from June 22:

https://www.torproject.org/projects/metrics

in particular

https://git.torproject.org/checkout/metrics/master/report/bridges/bridges-2009-06-22.pdf

Let me know if there's something else you are interested in that could
be extracted from the bridge descriptors, and I can include it in the
next report.

Thank you.  This was very interesting.

I'd like to see some stats, or even some conjecture, as to the longevity of a bridge, and what it means for the bridge to be born, be used, and eventually be blocked.

I understand the mechanisms used to slowly feed bridge information to people who request them, but even that slowness can't keep them from eventually being discovered and blocked.

I would think there would be some kind of exponential falloff in utility of a bridge as it is extant for longer and longer periods of time. You might be able to analyze this by looking at the relationship between the number of times a bridge IP is given out vs. the bandwidth it generates and then provide some guidelines to bridge operators that would give them an idea as to when to move to a new IP, or when to expect their bridge to have gone stale.