Re: Excessive scrubs

On Oct 14, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Jon wrote:

Yes, I did the save the file. This is a given, sorry.

This may also be a given, but did you restart Tor after doing this? AFAIK (and I may be wrong), Tor does not read changes made to the torrc after initialization.

I had added the ' SafeLogging 0 ' to the file as per Tor-ops
message/reply. Twenty four hours later when I saw that it had not
removed the ' scrubbed ' and replaced it with the node/address, I
checked the file again and it was not in the file where I put it.

Was Vidalia running when you edited the torrc? Vidalia (on Windows, at least) has a bad habit of overwriting changes to the torrc that it isn't aware of. Personally I think there should be a "Confirm before modifying torrc" checkbox in Vidalia.

I just checked it now, It is still in the file, but the logs still
show the ' scubbed' and not the address as supposedly the '
SafeLogging 0 ' was to replace. Time wise it appears to be at a
minimum of once an hour. Which makes me believe it is the same address
that is being scrubbed.

Try shutting down both Tor and Vidalia, making your edits, restarting both, and rechecking your torrc/logs. If you've done all this, please let us know.

~Justin Aplin

OS is WIndows

Jon

What do you mean by 'removed itself'? Was the file never saved, or was there a point at which something else reverted it, or was it something
else entirely?

Also, which operating system are you using?