Re: tor-ramdisk 20101011 released for i686 only

On 10/11/2010 11:25 PM, Anders Andersson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/11/2010 10:52 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I want to announce to the list that a new release of tor-ramdisk is out.
>>> Tor-ramdisk is an i686, x86_64 or MIPS uClibc-based micro Linux
>>> distribution whose only purpose is to host a Tor server in an
>>> environment that maximizes security and privacy. Security is enhenced by
>>> hardening the kernel and binaries, and privacy is enhanced by forcing
>>> logging to be off at all levels so that even the Tor operator only has
>>> access to minimal information. Finally, since everything runs in
>>> ephemeral memory, no information survives a reboot, except for the Tor
>>> configuration file and the private RSA key, which may be
>>> exported/imported by FTP.
>>>

>> Via FTP? It's probably not a good idea to export a private key without
>> using encryption...
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jake
>
> My first thought as well. Pretty much every protocol invented is
> better than FTP, in this case and most other cases.
>
> Another question regarding the logging: I hope you include enough to
> know if the node is working correctly or not. The logs that are
> generated could also be deleted after a couple of minutes or an hour
> as well, which might make it possible to log some more information if
> necessary to verify functionality.
>
> Great project though, a lot of people request this.

Originally I thought of tor-ramdisk as only being accessed via FTP on a
trusted LAN.  However, several people have suggested using the image "in
the cloud".  I have plans on adding sftp.

Also, you can enable logging to console for diagnostics.

- --
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology
D'Youville College