[tor-talk] Securing servers (was: Re: WSJ- Google- Sonic Mr. Applebaum)

Hi Jeroen,

I find this is an interesting discussion, although it feels very much
off topic. Is there another list to discuss this?

On 11.10.2011 14:33, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> If the box is at a place under your control, you will at least know.
>> Replugging can be noticed (packet drops, changes in voltage) and the
>> system can be shut down/wiped.
> Google for Vampire Taps. You won't notice a thing unless you have very
> very sensitive voltage etc measurements happening.

How are you going to Vampire Tap a simple Wiimote built inside the
server, or other devices of that kind? Or lock the server to the
building (and detect movement of the lock).

> Like everything else (eg how many locks you have on your house), it all
> depends completely who your adversary is and how much protection you
> require against it.

It makes a lot of difference if you *know* about access to sensitive
data or not. That's also the difference of a data center run by friends
who will let you know with a certain probability, and some corporate DC
where you will most likely never find out that something is bugged.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/