[tor-talk] Why will the home page in Firefox load (when TorButton is on) even though Tor itself is not loaded?

Hello,

I am using TorButton 1.4.4.  It is set to be on automatically when Firefox loads.

The way my system works is that Tor runs when Vidalia runs. I manually load Vidalia then open Firefox.

However, I have noticed that if I do not have Vidalia running and I load Firefox then the bookmarked home page will load.  If I try any other page I get the "proxy server is refusing connections" error.

I delete the cache and cookies before opening Firefox.

Why will the home page load even though Vidalia (and Tor) are not running and TorButton is running?

Thanks.