Re: [tor-talk] German police keylogger analysis (and the effects on Tor are....?)

On 13.10.2011 14:02, Karsten N. wrote:
> Am 13.10.2011 08:39, schrieb William Wrightman:
>> Is moving to Linux one solution?
>
> I agree with Adrew, there is no 100% solution.
>
> But you can do as much as possible to increase your security.
>
> Moving to Linux (or OpenBSD ;-) ) is one step.
>
> Full disk encryption is possible. For Debian or Ubuntu you can enable
> full disk encryption at installation time. It does not need any
> additional software. (I am not sure about other distributions.)
>
> For WIN you may use Truecrypt or Diskcryptor or other software for full
> disk encryption. Since version 6.1 Truecrypt can use hardware tokens
> together with pass-phrases.
>
> Live-CDs are a possible solution too.
>
> You may apply many steps and it will be better than doing nothing
> because you can not get 100% security.
>
> Best regards
> Karsten N.

Hello,
I read lots of articles and analysis about the ?Bundestrojaner? (that´s
how the german keylogger is called here). It seems like you don´t have
to worry. It is more a virus construction kit than a virus. In
accordance with the Chaos Computer Club they´ll need about 10 experts
working 5 months just to develop and adapt one keylogger. It makes also
sense to install one Linux Distribution. I use Ubuntu 11.04 on my second
notebook, fully encrypted (can be choosen while the installation, just
choose the ?alternate disc? to download). It is much more faster, more
secure and just better then Win7.
If you have to use Windows 7, try the Truecrypt Preeboot encryption. It
is open source software and pretty authentic. With Truecrypt, you can
also encrypt external drives. The most important part of the whole
encryption thing is the password, choose it as long as possible. The
only possibility to crack such an encryption is bruteforce, and using a
long password will destroy this chance.
So far.