Re: [tor-talk] Legal or not on monitoring traffic at a Tor exit?

I'm just asking the legal liability of running Tor exits and making it clear. I don't bother with modifying somebody's traffic.

Basically, you are saying once we run exits, the computers are not our own computers any more:

Tor exit operators == ISP, from the perspective of laws.

What if somebody attacks my computer running a Tor exit via Tor? I have to call police since I cannot check the content of the attack traffic?

Xinwen Fu

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Xinwen Fu <xinwenfu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a bit curious about the legal issue on monitoring traffic at a Tor exit?
> Is monitoring Tor traffic at an exit legal? Since the traffic passes "my"
> computer, seems of course I can monitor it or even change it. When people
> set up a Tor exit, is there any policy from Tor governing the behavior of
> the operators? Is there any legal liability?

This is in the FAQ.

https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html

Don't confuse capability with legality.  You should expect the same
laws which make it unlawful for your ISP to do these things make it
unlawful for exit operators.