Re: [tor-talk] Debian-tor 0.2.2.34-1~~squeeze+1 PID/UID bug

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:52:12 +0000
unknown <unknown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for the misinformation. ps aux always displays numerical ID's for long usernames.
> I trying to repeat this situation on another Debian Linux machine with similar versions updates and
> iptables settings and got no results. Everything works fine without any troubles.

I think I found the reason of the problem. /etc/tor/torrc permisson changed to 640 root:root and
after 'killall -SIGHUP tor' Tor cannot read the config. Log message is:

===
[notice] Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal
state.
[warn] Could not open "/etc/tor/torrc": Permission denied
[notice] Configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc" not present, using reasonable defaults.
===

"Reasonable defaults" not include options for transparent torification.

I found that previous version use 644 root:root permission.
I not use any secret parameters in config and change the permission to old value and everything
work's fine again with -SIGHUP