Re: [tor-talk] Tor SOCKS?

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 08:11, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 09:31:57PM +0200, antispam06@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > I have in a folder on a 64bit Linux distro the TBB. I read the Vidalia
> > bundle has been discontinued. So I jumped at using this configuration.
> > I have read that the socks 5 proxy is on 127.0.0.1:9050. So I tried
> > pushing through it a jabber.org connection (XMPP) with Pidgin. Pidgin
> > even lists Socks 4, Socks 5 and a Tor/Privacy (Socks). Yet, the
> > connection fails with either option.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? TorBrowser is up and works through Tor.
> > Vidalia is up and running.
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#TBBSocksPort

Roger, that's a very good answer. But it holds only half of the
solution. Matthew Finkel gave the second part: open TBB, check the
network settings and there one will find the elusive port. Could someone
with access to the FAQ put an extra paragraph on how to locate the
random port? After all, maybe the port is better left floating around
instead of the fixed version.