Re: [tor-talk] TB download improvement

On 14/10/12 20:33, Outlaw wrote:
Hey there, Tor devs :) IMHO present torproject.org is very difficult
for average internet user. For those who don`t know english well, it
is almost impossible to find proper link.

I think it is the question of resources - to provide multilingual
website up to date, which Tor team just doesn`t have. So I have two
suggestions that require minimal effort:

1. Easy one. Make a static link like
"https://torproject.org/download/torbrowser-win-latest.exe";

2. A bit harder. Make a page for each language and OS with script that
starts downloading latest release:
"http://torproject.org/download/win/de"; for example. Advantage of this
method will be that you can provide some message, like version or
other important stuff.

People like one big red button DOWNLOAD and nothing else, so
if you couldn`t provide it due to any reason, you can shift
explanation and marketing stuff onto volunteers that can speak on the
target group`s language. Without static links it is almost impossible to
make people to "go there, click here, than choose there, don`t click
anything else"...

While people may like simple click and go instant software setups tor really doesn't much lend itself to that, to actually be useful requires some understanding of the product and it's abilities and weaknesses on the part of the user. I would fear if the homepage just had a big download button you will see many people click that, install then go off about their day assuming they were protected while the whole time their browser is still resolving DNS via their ISP and flash still full of LSO trackers recording all over web and telling it all to badads.dataminer.com (Not real address) every other site they visit.

Agreed that having more accessibility to at least the key documents available in other languages would be a great addition however tor is an open source project and like all open source projects for anything to get done someone needs to volunteer the time and ability to do it. As such if you yourself or anyone else that would like to see translations are able to speak another language pipe up and offer help. I would recommend that it is probably a good idea to co-ordinate it first before proceeding to ensure that it can in fact be accepted. Translations present some special difficulties in some ways and there are a few things that I suspect the project would want to be in place before making significant moves like actually publishing such pages on the main site as official project documents.

Of course there is the wiki https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki which to my knowledge is currently in English only, I suspect if someone were to seriously volunteer or better yet gather a small group of speakers together and propose a namespace for documentation in some other language it would probably be supported seems to me like the wiki offers a good place to start out and then refine over time. If I actually spoke any foreign languages I would be inclined to help out on such myself but English and Typo are about my limits unfortunately.