Re: [tor-talk] Review request: TorVM implementation in Qubes OS

adrelanos:
> Hi,
>
> I am only commenting by reading the Readme:
> https://github.com/abeluck/qubes-addons/blob/master/qubes-tor/README.md

This is exactly the type of feedback I wanted, thanks. See responses inline.

> First of all, I find this most interesting!
>
>> Non-comphrensive list of identifiers TorVM does not protect:
>
>>    Time zone
>
> Could that be improved by editing /etc/localtime?

I need to do more research into what it would take to protect the
localtime. For example, what are the consequences (technically and
UX-wise) of changing the local timezone to, presumably, UTC?

>> User names and real name
>
> What will be the operating system user name?

All Qubes VMs use the username "user", only the VM host (aka dom0) has a
user configured username

>> Name+version of any client (e.g. IRC leaks name+version through CTCP)
>
> CTCP can also leak your local time (and therefore including timezone).

Yea client leaks are something I don't have a desire to solve directly,
rather I would like to make users aware of them. I would love to see a
repository of tor-safe configurations for apps along the lines of
TorBirdy and TorBrowser.

>> For these reasons TorVM ships with two open SOCKS5 ports that provide
> Tor access with different stream isolation settings:
>
> On which IP are they listening?

Qubes automatically configures networking for client VMs (where client
in these case means clients of a ProxyVM that is providing NAT).

So, the answer to your question is, whatever the default gateway is.

>> Each AppVM will use a separate tor circuit (IsolateClientAddr)
>
> Qubes OS takes care of assigning each AppVM their own local LAN IP?

Yup.

It should be noted that AppVms are isolated from eachother on the local
network too.

>> Each destination address will use a separate circuit (IsolateDestAdr)
>
> I am not sure, this is a good idea to have as default for any easily
> installable "Tor Distro Like" project.
>
> Filesharing traffic already add a lot load the the Tor network. If these
> users create a new circuit for each IP they connect to, this might
> seriously harm the Tor network.
>
>> For performance reasons less strict alternatives are provided, but
> must be explicitly configured.
>
> I am in no position to suggest to disable it, but I guess if the Tor
> core members were reading this, they wouldn't like the idea. If they are
> not interested in this thread and therefore not reading this, I
> recommend to create an extra thread whether it's acceptable to enable
> IsolateDestAdr or IsolateDestPort by default for TransPort in a "Tor
> Distro Like" project by default for everyone.

Hm, yes. After reading past discussion on this subject [1] I'm inclined
to disable these options on the default setup, and, instead provide
several more SOCKS ports with usecases (and defaults set accordingly).

>> Future Work  Integrate Vidalia
>
> Good. Will any settings changed in Vidalia be persistent?

I haven't thought about this enough yet.

One problem, Vidalia's "New Identity" button doesn't make sense when you
have many stream contexts :|

Regarding persistence, do you suggest not making it so?

>> Future Work Create Tor Browser packages w/out bundled tor
>
> Amazing.
>
>> Future Work  Use local DNS cache to speedup queries (pdnsd)
>
> That could make users more fingerprintable.
>
>> Future Work  Support arbitrary DNS queries
>
> That could make users more fingerprintable.

Yup, I'm aware. Really I've no plans to move forward here until
something more concrete develops. (I'm looking at who Tails and Whonix,
who've discussed this issue extensively).

> What is it needed for anyway? Which things do not work without arbitrary
> DNS queries?

XMPP SRV lookups for one. Not a pressing issue of course.

>> Future Work  Configure bridge/relay/exit node
>
> Good.
>
>> Future Work  Normalize TorVM fingerprint
>
> I have no imagination what that could mean. Please elaborate.
>
>> Future Work  Optionally route TorVM traffic through Tor
>
> What is the motivation behind it?
There is no good reason I can think of yet, I'm just concerened a user
misunderstanding what a TorVM does (provides torified networking to
other AppVms), and opening firefox on it or something.

>> Future Work  Fix Tor's openssl complaint
>
> Please elaborate, one link is enough.

This is actually fixed. Tor disliked then OpenSSL ciphers available, but
upgrading openssl fixed it.

~abel

[1]:
https://sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/Applications/#limited-workaround-for-tor-browser