Re: [tor-talk] Porn make the world more free: Tor Porn Bundle?

A few things to consider (some practical, some political):
* It's possible to wank without porn. We can reach places in our
  imagination that no amount of ârealityâ can take us. In my experience
  an orgasm that starts in the mind is *much* more fulfilling than
  one involving porn. It's also possible to reach orgasm without wanking
  (i.e. by having sex). I'd rather work towards full sexual liberation
  than encouraging people to continue seeing sex as a base instinct best
  satisfied by masturbation.
* While there's nothing at all wrong with pictures and videos of
  people having sex (hell, I like them) it is an undisputed (AFAIK)
  fact that the sex industry (including porn) is an exploitative one,
  especially of women. Getting into bed with the porn producers risks
  alienating the feminist movement who would otherwise be naturally
  aligned with Tor's goals.
* The term âTor Porn Bundleâ would undoubtedly have the word âChildâ
  inserted in some people's minds. While others on this list have made
  it clear that they disagree with me, personally I believe this is a
  bad thing and would harm the project.
* I fear that the mere presence of such a TPB on a person's computer
  would be construed as evidence of lawbreaking and lead to arrests and
  everything bad that follows that. The beauty of the generic TBB is
  that all its presence implies is that you value anonymity. It gives
  no clue as to *why* you do.
* As others have pointed out, if you're thinking in terms of
  facilitating Flash videos, you are setting yourself up for a security
  nightmare. If you want to build a secure Flash player from the ground
  up then that may be a worthwhile project, but I'm not sure that it's a
  realistic one. HTML5 video is already viewable over Tor.
* Have you ever actually tried visiting a porn site over Tor? It's
  painful, or at least it was when I tested it a while back. The
  bandwidth requirements for thumbnail sites in particular are quite
  high and I'm not sure the network can handle it (yet).
* More so than any other resource I've seen, porn sites bombard the user
  with requests and incentives to provide credit card information. You
  talk about targeting teenagers. This worries me. Aside from the
  wider moral debate over children and sex, this is a group who have
  limited experience of the world and are likely to naÃvely trust Tor
  to protect them from harm no matter what they do. Once you
  steal your parents' credit card details and use them over
  Tor you've lost. Ethically, are we right to assume we can educate
  them sufficiently at a distance? Imagine copies of Tor being passed
  around on USB sticks by 12 year olds in a classroom, saying âthis
  will let you see pornâ with no explanation of the risks. This makes
  me deeply uncomfortable.
* Due to the prevalence of anti-porn legislation, making supporting the
  porn industry a direct goal of the project may put exit node
  operators at an increased risk and be off-putting for people
  considering setting up a relay, *especially* if the goal is to allow
  minors access to sexual content. It already takes serious balls to
  run an exit.

Julian

3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012@xxxxxx>