Re: [tor-talk] Emulating a VPN service with Tor

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:16:26PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> I'd like to reduce the hop count of both client and onion
> (perhaps to an rp) in order to speed up SSH access.
> I own both ends and it's not public, so I don't need the
> full 7 hops. I could go with four (client entry mid entry hs),
> or even down to two (client mid hs). Essentially your own
> 'offshore' VPN service. It's just to keep casual snoopers
> away, like the boss/HR and the colo/home ISP.
>
> Recompiling the hopcount flag is no problem. But is it
> what I want? And is there a general torrc way, even if
> I have to pick the path manually?
> How can I do this? For the four and two hop versions?

Hmm, I don't have any especially good comments right now, but it
does seem potentially worthwhile investigating adding configuration
options for this for hidden services which don't care about keeping
the endpoints anonymous from each other, just from everyone else.

--
Andrea Shepard
<andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>