Re: [tor-talk] which 3.0a4 package is for Windows

On 13-10-09 04:00 AM, Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> wrote:
>>> .exe is a Windows(-only) extension. I agree that the OS could be added
>>> to the file name to avoid confusion.
>>>
>> Thanks, but a question / comment.
>> Except in this case, the file / package isn't an executable - it's a
>> compressed archive.
>
> It's kind of both. You can "install" the bundle. The .exe can be
> executed and asks for where to extract to and can optionally start the
> bundle after extracting it.
>
> It's also possible to extract the "installer" using 7zip (or another
> extractor) and access it that way. (This applies to the relay bundle and
> bridge bundle, too. They are installers and can be extracted using 7zip
> or something else.)
>
>> The "exe" may be used here to indicate a Windows
>> build, but it's just a zipped (.7z) file.  I'm sure lots of new users
>> are confused by the .exe, in spite of instructions.
>
> Apparently users are confused all the time. They were confused about
> simple archives one had to extract. They extracted it and did not know
> what to do. Now it is an executable that unpacks the bundle and can
> launch it.

If you want to prevent confusing Windows users, the installer should be
a .msi file which by default has the action "Install" associated with it
when they click.  It should also be signed in Microsoft's anointed way
so that there are no popup warnings about untrusted software.