Re: [tor-talk] VOIP and tor

On 10/22/2013 08:59 PM, Matt wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:18:56 -0600
> Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/2013 06:52 PM, Andrew F wrote:
>>

>>> Is it the best to use for Voip call on tor?
>>
>> I think so. Because it can use UDP through the VPN tunnel, there's
>> virtually no break-up. Latency is high (1-2 seconds) but that's just a
>> fact of using Tor.
>
> You can set Mumble to TCP mode only and data and voice transmissions
> will both be sent using TCP. Running my own Mumble server as a hidden
> service, I got latency that was less than a second on fast circuits.

Was there much break-up?

I never got around to directly comparing UDP mode via VPN via Tor,
versus TCP mode via just Tor. My initial experience convinced me that
VoIP and anonymity are entirely incompatible :( I recorded my own voice
from one client to another independent client, and the fidelity was
astounding.