Re: [tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

Jeremy Olexa:
> You are abit late on the project idea :)
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router

If this needs repeating on this list: this is a bad idea. It will give
people illusions instead of actual protection.

The Tor Browser is already having a hard time fighting against the
numerous browser fingerprinting scheme that exists today. Telling people
they will be anonymous using their normal Internet Explorer is
misleading if not dishonest. Using evercookies will be enough to track
them across restarts and networks.

Going through Tor will still protect them from monitoring by their ISP,
which is highly desirable. But this is not what the selling pitch is
about, here.

Users of such products might be able to download OS X security updates
without revealing their IP address to Apple. I am not sure this will
actually hide their location (as the OS can figure it out by looking at
nearby Wi-Fi networks), but it will surely not hide their Mac serial
number or Apple ID. I am not sure this is what people would call
anonymityâ

 [1]: http://samy.pl/evercookie

--
Lunar                                             <lunar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>