Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

Isn't there merit to the idea of moving as much over tor as possible so as to work towards dispelling the myth of tor as a network that only transmits questionable traffic?

Irregardless of the political and privacy issues there are also technical benefits to using Tor for day to day traffic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alec Muffett <alec.muffett@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: "tor-talk" <tor-talk-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 19:49:28
To: <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

On 3 October 2016 at 18:59, meejah <meejah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alec Muffett <alec.muffett@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> I think it's kind of dangerous to assume whole classes of information
> will *never* be interesting -- if you don't anonymize at the source,
> they'll be recorded forever (approximately).

True.

But, for a practical non-future-speculative use-case: what if you're
> travelling but don't want Teh Internets to know that? Then you might
> want to do seemingly "non-anonymous" things like log into GitHub or
> gmail or facebook or whatever over <some anonymity tool>.

What's interesting to me here is that you've phrased this as a "what if"
question - and, my answer is, "if I want to do this, I will fire up Tor, or
some other Proxy Network"

I _really_ hope that people are better than thinking this is an
all-or-nothing, zero-sum game; that for one network protocol to live, the
other network protocol must die.

We can (and do!) have _both_ anon, and non-anon connections.

And that's _okay_.

> p.s. Also practically speaking: I'm not suggesting everone start
> streaming Netflix over Tor ... but I *am* suggesting you should use
> GitHub etc over Tor ;)

That would be coolness.

So: who knows someone at Github to approach about setting up an Onion site
for them?

I'll help.  :-)

    -a

--