Re: [tor-talk] Does the Tor DNS transparent proxy code use clients nameservers?

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 16:54 -0400, Allen wrote:
> or maybe better "dig @localhost:torport hostname +tcp"
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Allen <allenpmd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > and what happens if you use dig alone to talk directly to tor?
> > something like "dig -p torport hostname +tcp" (see man dig)

Hmmm, interesting.

If I use dig directly on the DNSPort of the Tor daemon I get the
following results:

rob@jessie:~$ dig @localhost -p 9041 hoevenstein.nl

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> @localhost -p 9041 hoevenstein.nl
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hoevenstein.nl.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hoevenstein.nl.		3600	IN	A	94.211.74
.2

;; Query time: 216 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#9041(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Oct 25 23:12:26 CEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48

This looks OK. When I check with Wireshark I see no DNS queries leaving
my system. Must think about what this means. Or better, get some sleep.
It's been a long day...

Thanks!
Rob.
https://hoevenstein.nl