[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.4.2.2-alpha is released
There's a new alpha Tor release! Because it's an alpha, you should
only run it if you're ready to find more bugs than usual, and report
them on trac.torproject.org.
The source code is available from the usual place at
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/; if you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely in the next couple of weeks.
Here's what's new:
Changes in version 0.4.2.2-alpha - 2019-10-07
This release fixes several bugs from the previous alpha release, and
from earlier versions. It also includes a change in authorities, so
that they begin to reject the currently unsupported release series.
o Major features (directory authorities):
- Directory authorities now reject relays running all currently
deprecated release series. The currently supported release series
are: 0.2.9, 0.3.5, 0.4.0, 0.4.1, and 0.4.2. Closes ticket 31549.
o Major bugfixes (embedded Tor):
- Avoid a possible crash when restarting Tor in embedded mode and
enabling a different set of publish/subscribe messages. Fixes bug
31898; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
o Major bugfixes (torrc parsing):
- Stop ignoring torrc options after an %include directive, when the
included directory ends with a file that does not contain any
config options (but does contain comments or whitespace). Fixes
bug 31408; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
o Minor features (auto-formatting scripts):
- When annotating C macros, never generate a line that our check-
spaces script would reject. Closes ticket 31759.
- When annotating C macros, try to remove cases of double-negation.
Closes ticket 31779.
o Minor features (continuous integration):
- When building on Appveyor and Travis, pass the "-k" flag to make,
so that we are informed of all compilation failures, not just the
first one or two. Closes ticket 31372.
o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the October 1 2019 Maxmind GeoLite2
Country database. Closes ticket 31931.
o Minor features (maintenance scripts):
- Add a Coccinelle script to detect bugs caused by incrementing or
decrementing a variable inside a call to log_debug(). Since
log_debug() is a macro whose arguments are conditionally
evaluated, it is usually an error to do this. One such bug was
30628, in which SENDME cells were miscounted by a decrement
operator inside a log_debug() call. Closes ticket 30743.
o Minor features (onion services v3):
- Assist users who try to setup v2 client authorization in v3 onion
services by pointing them to the right documentation. Closes
o Minor bugfixes (Appveyor continuous integration):
- Avoid spurious errors when Appveyor CI fails before the install
step. Fixes bug 31884; bugfix on 0.3.4.2-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (best practices tracker):
- When listing overbroad exceptions, do not also list problems, and
do not list insufficiently broad exceptions. Fixes bug 31338;
bugfix on 0.4.2.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (controller protocol):
- Fix the MAPADDRESS controller command to accept one or more
arguments. Previously, it required two or more arguments, and
ignored the first. Fixes bug 31772; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Add a missing check for HAVE_PTHREAD_H, because the backtrace code
uses mutexes. Fixes bug 31614; bugfix on 0.2.5.2-alpha.
- Disable backtrace signal handlers when shutting down tor. Fixes
bug 31614; bugfix on 0.2.5.2-alpha.
- Rate-limit our the logging message about the obsolete .exit
notation. Previously, there was no limit on this warning, which
could potentially be triggered many times by a hostile website.
Fixes bug 31466; bugfix on 0.2.2.1-alpha.
- When initialising log domain masks, only set known log domains.
Fixes bug 31854; bugfix on 0.2.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (logging, protocol violations):
- Do not log a nonfatal assertion failure when receiving a VERSIONS
cell on a connection using the obsolete v1 link protocol. Log a
protocol_warn instead. Fixes bug 31107; bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (modules):
- Explain what the optional Directory Authority module is, and what
happens when it is disabled. Fixes bug 31825; bugfix
o Minor bugfixes (multithreading):
- Avoid some undefined behaviour when freeing mutexes. Fixes bug
31736; bugfix on 0.0.7.
o Minor bugfixes (relay):
- Avoid crashing when starting with a corrupt keys directory where
the old ntor key and the new ntor key are identical. Fixes bug
30916; bugfix on 0.2.4.8-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (tests, SunOS):
- Avoid a map_anon_nofork test failure due to a signed/unsigned
integer comparison. Fixes bug 31897; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
o Code simplification and refactoring:
- Refactor connection_control_process_inbuf() to reduce the size of
a practracker exception. Closes ticket 31840.
- Refactor the microdescs_parse_from_string() function into smaller
pieces, for better comprehensibility. Closes ticket 31675.
- Use SEVERITY_MASK_IDX() to find the LOG_* mask indexes in the unit
tests and fuzzers, rather than using hard-coded values. Closes
- Interface for function `decrypt_desc_layer` cleaned up. Closes
- Document the signal-safe logging behaviour in the tor man page.
Also add some comments to the relevant functions. Closes
- Explain why we can't destroy the backtrace buffer mutex. Explain
why we don't need to destroy the log mutex. Closes ticket 31736.
- The Tor source code repository now includes a (somewhat dated)
description of Tor's modular architecture, in doc/HACKING/design.
This is based on the old "tor-guts.git" repository, which we are
adopting and superseding. Closes ticket 31849.
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to