Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser + ALSA

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Tue Sep 14 13:43:23 UTC 2021
there is also a solution many people used in the interim period
between Mozilla decided to nuke ALSA and introducing it again: apulse.⁽²⁾
____
⁽¹⁾
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/6f80cdd3145436c9d1690c353f5490ad7f0098cf/trunk/PKGBUILD
⁽²⁾ https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Sep 9 07:18:43 UTC 2021
And if you want to build Tor Browser, you can see this page:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Hacking/Hacking

Thank you very much to the both of you.

Does this mean that there is hope that the decision to remove ALSA (and not PulseAudio) in TorBrowser is reversed? is adding `ac_add_options --enable-alsa' in `mozconfig-*' what I would need to build TorBrowser with ALSA enabled?

The rationale of lower maintenance from Mozilla seems to have veered in a strange direction: remove ALSA and keep PulseAudio ("Make Pulse Audio a hard dependency on Linux so that we reduce the problems and maintenance associated with maintaining multiple audio backends").

Just to share (no complaint): The alternative to run `apulse' did not work for me. I tried to play a local mp3 file (Ritchie Valens' La Bamba), and it works for other browsers, but not with TorBrowser. This is possibly unrelated to `apulse', because the other browsers play sound regardless. The last commit to `apulse' was on Tue Jun 30 13:46:54 2020 +0200, and I doubt that "maintenance" is the key word to keep using it as a work-around.

I really appreciate your advice. I post these for completeness regarding links.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/no-sound-in-tor-browser-on-debian-10-with-alsa-4175670325/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/no-sound-in-tor-browser-only-4175663745/