Re[2]: IP address blocking problem

Hello Sam,

Sunday, September 25, 2005, 6:41:53 PM, you wrote:

SP> Roadburner wrote:
>>>24.131.26.175
>>
>> Why would anyone block my IP for being a Tor exit?

SP> Oh a number of reasons my friend.  First of all they could be total
SP> bigots and decided to have pre-emptively blocked your IP address since
SP> it's listed as an exit proxy.  I've heard of people doing this.
SP> Secondly, if your exit node was used by someone doing something
SP> unscrupulous and was reported to a black list, that would do it too.
SP> This is why I don't run an exit proxy, but instead a middle man node.
SP> This lets me contribute to the Tor network without risking the (one) IP
SP> I have for all of my Internet needs.  Despite that, I still may get
SP> blocked by some people.

SP> It's not that I don't want to run an exit proxy; if I had a spare IP I'd
SP> run an exit proxy, that way if the Tor IP gets blocked, I still have an
SP> unblocked IP I can use to get to things myself without anonymity if I
SP> wanted to.

SP> - --
SP> Sam Peterson
SP> peabody@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Sam,

I only have the single IP too. My problem is I wanted to make a PC dedicated
to Tor and the re-mailer system. I was running some test e-mails and my IP
was blocked by some organization. (The message is on the other computer).

I was reported by one person and blacklisted. The topics of the messages
showed up as "Testing Sockscap 4", "Testing Sockscap 5", something like that.
It gave my port number so I knew it was out of Tor.

The big problem is that to run a re-mailer, you have to be able to
communicate with other re-mailers. If they are using blocking lists, I could
be a middleman in a chain and the message by someone wouldn't get through.
That shakes the reliability of the entire network.

The worst part is, the remailer that blocked me is operating a type 3
remailer in addition to type 2. Both Roger and Peter have contributed to the
design of that network. So here is an interesting result. I am going to set
up a type 3 remailer but I won't be reliably able to communicate with some
other type 3 remailers since I was a Tor exit node and got blacklisted by a
few of the many organizations out there.

I'll have to find a way to automatically not chain through those other
remailers.

When I start Tor back up, it will be middle only.

--
Best regards,
 Roadburner                            mailto:roadburner@xxxxxxxxxxx