Re: vandalism appearance at anonymous networks [was: Re: Hello directly from Jimbo at Wikipedia ]

Hello Sascha,

>> "everyone is so worried about it, but has any one ever been successfully
>> been able to use tor to effectively spam anyone?"
>>
>> Yes, of course!  We deal with it constantly.  We have an effective means
>> of dealing with it: we block Tor servers from editing wikipedia.  But is
>> that what any of us want?
>>
>> "Misbehaviour is in the eye of the observer, however."
>>
>> No, actually it isn't.  There is such a thing as objectively
>> identifiable malicious behavior.  We aren't Chinese censors here.  We're
>> the good guys.  We want to work with you.
>>
>> Yes, we could implement tight security to only allow people who identify
>> themselves (perhaps we'll require a credit card number, someone
>> suggests?)... but *cough*, aren't we supposed to care about privacy here?

S> Hello,

S> my own experience while being member of an anonymous network, freenet,
S> is that you encounter mass experiences that you have never met before in
S> that amount before.

S> It is that you will be aware or being hit with more flamewars, spam,
S> unlicenced software, malware and even crime. It is your own choice to
S> take a look or not.  Following one discussion about this problem one
S> said, it is because _this_ reflects the real society.

S> In my eyes this is correct but not the whole truth. It is a mass of
S> people in addition consisting of DAUs (duemmster anzunehmder User,
S> german. worst assumed accident, english translation, see Jargon for dau
S> for further information) to Poweruser (which is maybe analog to lamer)
S> who are no bad guys nor criminals, but when in the situation "Now you
S> can do what you want, you won't be punished, what would you do" they act
S> destructive for fun.

S> IMHO this is happening to tor, too.

S> Tor is becoming more public, it is even mentioned and advised in
S> computer magazins. So the people who use tor, which were geeks in the
S> beginning, are joined by DAUs and lamers. _This_ is why more tor users
S> act destructive and this is the reason why more public services come
S> aware of tor users acting destructive and then they close their service
S> against tor.

S> The internet is a dynamic structure and so is the use of tor. It is a
S> developement we are in and todays use and todays reaction will change.

S> There will always be destructive elements acting in anonymous space and
S> I expect the services like wikipedia and others to react more
S> intelligent in the future.

S> Blocking tor users is like blocking mail because you get spam, so this
S> won't work. You have to find another solution, there will always be bad
S> guys, but not all tor users are bad nor are all internet users.

S> If you can't stand the current situation, don't just sit and wait, talk
S> to the people having closed their service. Show them there are tor users
S> being friendly and respecting them and their service. If you able,
S> assist them in developing a strategie which detects destructives,
> [...]

Well, I am an unfortunate victim of vandalism done through my Tor Exit Node.

Have a look at:
http://www.us.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?24.131.26.175

Notice the the sentence toward the bottom line of the page:

"You will not be removed from the database without a donation to a
charity/good cause for the time spent reading and dealing with the
email(s)."

Right!! and offering up free bandwidth as a Tor Exit node isn't charity?

Needless to say I am teed off about it.

Sorry, I had to vent. I have spent several hundred dollars on a new cable
modem router (different MAC address) and am off of the Internet at home for
4 days at least until the DHCP lease expires.  Comcast uses 4 day DHCP
leases.

Hopefully, after 4 days, I'll install the new modem and go through the
hassle of setting it up with Comcast. I know it will be more hours wasted.

What if I get the same darn IP back?  I hate these blacklisting outfits.

I feel like suing them. I have the financial resources to do it too.

The statement about contributing to charity is extortion. The company I own
and founded spends in excess of $15,000 a year on charity. The boy scouts
get nearly $5,000. Then there is all the others. Community days, though I
don't live in this community, awww hell, I can't even think of everyone we
give to. In reality, that $15,000 comes out of my pocket in the end.

Then there is the personal donations to our church, every school kid selling
candy bars, supporting the High School Cagers club, you name it.

Sorry all, just mad at the blacklisters and abusers.

--
Best regards,
 Roadburner                            mailto:roadburner@xxxxxxxxxxx