Re: Hello directly from Jimbo at Wikipedia / trust mechanisms

Hi Jimbo.

I'm not really a Tor developer, but just an interested observer.

My only real observation to this whole issue seems to be a trust
mechanism on wikipedias side.

what I've seen in other places is new users are allowed limited access
to certain areas of the sites until they are 'trusted'  and allowed to
make larger and larger edits.

so how do they get trusted.. people rate their edits.. the more people
who rate them highly, the larger type of edits they can do.

so for example .. a new user logs in, and they can do minor edits
(like 5-6 edits involving less than 3-4 lines of text)
as other people see their changes (and rate them well) they can
increase the number of edits and the size of them.

how fast they get trusted would be a function of who rates/trusts
them. so for example if you (jimbo) gives them a '5' ranking it would
hold more weight than me (a newbie) giving them a '5'.

This way vandals/new-users would have limited access to vandalize/make
wholesale changes until they 'earn their bones' so to speak. as long
as the user-id's are not tied to a email address or a 3rd party means
of identification (or make it optional) it will not discourage people
signing up.

Regards
Ian.

--