Re: Tor server question regarding hidden services.

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:45:40 -0700 Caitlin
<The_Polymorph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I just finished enabling a hidden service on my Tor server but I
>felt
>compelled to ask a few questions.
>
>1). In order to run a hidden service, does one have to set-up a
>Tor
>server with an exit node? If so, would I have to use the rule:
>
>accept * 80
>
>...(?)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Caitlin
>

>"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
>
>matter and those who matter don't mind."
>
>- Dr. Seuss, "Oh the Places You'll Go"

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Hi Caitlin,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure the answer to
your question is "No". You should not need to configure your server
to exit on port 80 in order to run a hidden service.

In any case, this should be fairly easy to test. Once you have your
hidden service configured, set your server to NOT exit to port 80,
and then try to access your hidden service through the Tor network.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Joe