[ANNOUNCE] Updated JanusVM for Sept. 2007

We have proud to announce a new JanusVM has been released!  The amount of feedback and response from users has been great!

JanusVM is in the October 2007 edition of PC World magazine!  We had no idea that Erik Larkin of PC World was going to write an article about JanusVM until new users notified us that they heard about JanusVM in the magazine.  Thank you Erik!
Here's the link to the article titled "Evade Snoops by Cloaking Your Internet Activity in Anonymity"
:
- http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135993/article.html

Below is a list of updates in this months release.
- Upgraded to kernel 2.6.22.3 tick-less scheduling
- Upgraded privoxy to v3.0.6 and latest rules
- Upgraded Tor to v0.2.0.6-alpha now using DNSPort
- Added support for direct transparent routing through NAT device
- Added openvpn client support (see ovpn/ dir in zip)
- Added private directory retrieval
- Blocked NetBIOS traffic from going over Tor.

It is highly recommended that everyone update for several reasons.

Enhancements in this release make Tor noticeably faster.  It isn't quite the same as your broadband connection at home, but it's getting better.  There was also a very important security update in Tor, but JanusVM users need not worry about it since Tor's control port is bound to localhost inside the VM and therefore is protected from potentially harmful exploits in either the end-users applications or Tor itself.  Even the very first JanusVM that was published over a year ago is still protecting Tor from being vulnerable to this bug. Hence the power of virtualization.

We included the "tick-less" scheduling in the Linux kernel, which has increased the speed of JanusVM by roughly a factor of Two on most systems.

As many of you know JanusVM was the first, and still is the only transparent proxy for Tor in a VM.  We use a VPN from the host OS to JanusVM in order to make this happen, but now there is a new option.  You can use JanusVM as your router!  All that is requires is for you to change your IP address manually, and this will ensure absolutely that no exploit or zero-day attack against your web browser, e-mail, or IM client will compromise your true IP address.  Here's an example of the settings that would be used on you machine to route all traffic through JanusVM.

IP: 10.10.20.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.10.20.1
DNS: 10.10.20.1

- JanusVM Checksums -
MD5: eae0f7c0eddb32df39569c1470c1881f
SHA1: 81bb5207270085c3cd216ce8fbdfc79f93bdd679
http://janusvm.peertech.org/JanusVM-17-sep-2007.zip

- JanusVM LIVE Checksums -
MD5: e88598c154ecd71e09f84994b2796534
SHA1: 3304e0c7e02c82dc7723a7f3074e17bb3ce1b4c2
http://janusvm.peertech.org/JanusVMLive-17-sep-2007.zip
I get asked at least twice a week what the difference between JanusVM and JanusVM Live, so let me explain it again for those of you who don't know.
JanusVM Live loads the entire image into RAM (requires 180MB free).
JanusVM Live does NOT save any changes that are made while you use it.
So if you create a new VPN user and reboot JanusVM Live, your user account will be gone and you will have to recreate it.
The same goes for any log files that are created during usage.  Basically, JanusVM Live is for users that want to be %100 sure that all their actions are not logged when they are finished using JanusVM.  Nothing is saved when you shutdown the LIVE version and everything goes back to a default state when you use it next time.

Enjoy!

www.JanusVM.com