Re: invitation to directory server operators

     On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:11:53 +0200 Lucky Green <shamrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 08:17:53AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Anyway, for those directory server operators who are willing to add
>> hidden services directory service to their ordinary tor directory server's
>> offerings, here's how to do it.  Note that your server must be configured
>> as a directory server.  Just add the following lines to your server's torrc
>> file.
>>
>> ## The following line enables hidden service directory mirroring.
>> HidServDirectoryV2 1
>
>I too didn't even know the option existed. I must have missed the
>announcement in the release notes that we should enable this feature
>back when it was added. Anyway, added now.

     I never saw it either, but it may predate my first dabblings with tor
(ca. 0.1.1.13, I think).  But I saw this HSDir item on the torstatus page
for selecting servers to be listed, so I tried it to see what it would
show.  A few servers came up, few enough, in fact, that I was a bit startled.
Then I looked at their entries in the consensus and status documents, where
I saw the HSDir flag on each, which prompted me to look at their descriptors.
After a few moments of browsing I saw the "opt hidden-service-dir" line in
each one, which I had never spotted in descriptors before.  By this point,
I was definitely intrigued.  After a bit of searching, I think I found the
option in the tor man page.  But no, I don't remember ever having been aware
of it either before going through that little treasure hunt.

>Wonder what other features have been added to Tor that I should enable.

     Exactly my thought as well.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG