Re: hijacking DNS server

Erilenz wrote:
> This has been convered before, several times. OpenDNS provide stuff
> like Phishing protection, by mangling DNS results.
Personally, I call it dns hijacking but I understand it can be seen
under several lights :)
I've tried them toghether with tor once: they made the program spits out
the hijack warning so the purpose of my mail was to advice the poster
against OpenDNS usage if he wants to get rid of those warnings.

I also understand the next part of your sentence:
> They are a free service that you *don't have to use*. They ALSO give
> you the option to turn off those services that some people find
> useful, and to just get a normal DNS service.
and agree with you about the freedom of choose them or not.

> I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about the free service
> that they provide ...
This is the part I don't like: as I pointed out with the command ouputs,
they not only "hijack" your queries in order to "protect" your
navigation, but they also spoof google services.
If I'd been using OpenDNS, I'll think twice before sending my
credentials to (what my browser think is) google.com :)

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
Slackintosh Linux Project Developer: http://workaround.ch/