Re: Vidalia exit-country and Hulu

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:02, Brian Mearns <bmearns@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM, bao song <michaelwprx@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some time ago (2008) I read about a Canadian who used Tor to view Hulu.
>
> I tried it from outside the US, and it worked, but the speed was too slow for me to use it regularly. Today, a clip from Hulu was highly recommended by the New York Times, so I tried again: Hulu now tries to block all attempts to connect via Tor. I tried two US exits, and both were blocked.
>
> Of course, the idea of Tor is NOT to allow people to watch high bandwidth commercial videos restricted to US audiences, but to allow people who need privacy to obtain it.
[clip]

You seem to understand the burden such activities place on the Tor
network, in which case I'm curious what reason one might have for
accessing Hulu anonymously? (Genuine question, not a snide comment)

If such material (western TV) is deemed inappropriate by the local authorities, then you wouldn't want them to know that you were accessing it. It might not be of life-or-death importance that you did manage to access it for entertainment, but you would nonetheless desire anonymity.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net