[tor-talk] Why am I "sending" so much traffic when connecting to websites?

I was looking at the "bandwidth" graph in Vidalia and there was one thing I did not understand.

I loaded three webpages (www.telegraph.co.uk), (www.wired.com/threatlevel), and (www.bbc.co.uk).  I received 6.7MB of traffic (which seems a lot but I guess not when everyone is using broadband) but what I found surprising was that I also sent 3.6MB.

I have no idea why I would be sending so much traffic?

I tried with a couple of other exit nodes and roughly got the same results.

Thanks.