Re: [tor-talk] Leave Your Cellphone at Home

> Very interesting read.

"""""
Resnick: The recent article in Wired describes where and how the NSA plans to
store its share of collected data. But as the article explains, the Utah
facility will have another important function: cryptanalysis, or
code-breaking, as much of the data cycling through will be heavily encrypted.
It also suggests that the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), expected to
remain durable for at least another decade, may be cracked by the NSA in a
much shorter time if theyâve built a secret computer that is considerably
faster than any of the machines we know about. But more to the pointâis
encryption safe?
"""""

> I'm not sure I buy the theories for the new data centre. Drive capacity

Guessing it's pretty much as on the wrapper. In another interview
Binney speaks of a cryptographic breakthrough. If you look at the
physical size of the datacenters, you can easily envision massive
index tables, rainbow or otherwise, for storing shortcuts to various
projects. Note that ever since MySpace, network analysis has been
the rage. Combine that with 15-20 years of public datamining and
10-15 years of easily tappable fiber and datacenters. Toss in some
really smart people and PhD's and sure, there are bound to be some
big and secret advances in data processing and even crypto in play
here.

> specifically the insider threat

You don't need big DC's for that, just better software and human
checks and balances.

> I think cryptography will depend more and more on steganography [...]
> and the message is encoded in the inter-packet timing noise. ;)

Moot when you suck up and process everything to extract the
crypto. Steg is nothing more than crypto with a pretty wrapper
meant to get past the drunk guards, not specialized sieves
sifting through your garbage.

There are better lists for these topics so I'll step out.