Re: [tor-talk] Any way to get around a wide view of the network?

On 9/19/2012 6:18 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> It's widely believed that an attacker with a sufficiently wide view of the Internet could unmask and identify Tor users. For example, if 3195 bytes go into a specific entry node and 3195 bytes come out of an exit node a few seconds later, chances are pretty good it's you.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any ongoing efforts to get around this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

I think that I remember reading somewhere that all packets come in only
one size so an interloper would have the task of counting packets and
then trying to match to other data streams with the same number of
packets in some time window.  Since the encryption would be different on
the other stream it is still not very easy.  Maybe Tor randomly throws
in some extra packets now and then to make life more interesting.

David C