Re: [tor-talk] VPS provider

On 09/25/2012 01:42 PM, Flo wrote:
> +1
> This.
>
> The problem is especially on container-virtualizations like OpenVZ is
> that the admins of the hostnodes must just type something like 'vzctl
> enter 123' and they have a shell in your VPS...
>
> So you should have at least Xen/KVM where you can use encryption

Yes! Sadly there aren't too many KVM hosts, but providers are slowly
offering more options. Xen has been stable for a longer amount of time,
so there are more options available for that, Linode, et al.

I personally have KVM boxes from http://buyvm.net/ and
http://arpnetworks.com/, at times they leave something to be desired
with regard to performance, but overall I have no complaints related to
service or uptime. I don't currently use them for Tor related purposes,
but if they're not going to serve as exit nodes, anything else shouldn't
cause a  problem (except bandwidth, as was noted). I'm planning to
contact them in the future to determine their stance on Tor and see if I
can move forward with some ideas I have, but that remains to be seen.