Re: [tor-talk] BBC Horizon: Inside the Dark Web

Well I shall keep this short.

"Jakey" is one of the reasons I am currently running 5Gbps of Tor
relays/exits, and without some of his talks I wouldn't be here right
now reading this. The current cost of my operations associated to Tor
(running relays, sponsoring others etc) is approximately 6,000 Euro
per month (and rising), not counting the time I have personally spent
on assisting where I can in Tor Project.

On top of this, the narrative of a person who genuinely understands
the issues at hand brings greater factual information to the public
who do not have a good grasp of it. Tor needs people who can appeal to
the public and get Mr and Mrs Average involved, the uninteresting
(assuming such a category exists in the eyes of those unfriendly to
anonymity) traffic through the Tor network is what protects those who
depend on it for their lives and for the purposes of freedom, privacy
and democracy.

So let's assume we could hire some "half drunk russian coders" instead
of Mr Appelbaum, I very much doubt me and many others who do what we
can financially and politically would be around right now.

- -T

[Apologies to everyone else having to read this trash, one needs to
let off some steam from time to time]