Re: [tor-talk] GEOIP's

On 06/09/14 08:30, eliaz wrote:
> Karsten Loesing:
>> On 05/09/14 19:00, Mike Fikuart wrote:
>>> Hi Group,
>>>
>>> I am looking into the various files used by the ORâs and OPâs and
>>> would like to know more about the GEOIP file and use.
> [snip]
>> You can find the current geoip file here:
>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob/HEAD:/src/config/geoip
> [snip]
>
> Are geoip and geoip6 updated in the background or should bridge
> operators fetch updates periodically? Does the difference between the
> Jul 14 2014 update (2,231 KB, currently in my bridge data folder) and
> the current (Aug 7 2014, 2,290 KB) update warrant replacing the older
> file? - eliaz

These files are not updated in the background, but whenever you upgrade
to a new tor version you'll get updated files.

I'd say the July 2014 database is just as good as the August 2014
database.  If files are older than six months, then maybe consider
replacing files.  Should be sufficient to copy new files and restart tor.

Thanks for running a bridge!

All the best,
Karsten