Re: [tor-talk] 5 million dollar company close to shut down due to an exposure on the Dark Net

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:36:48PM +0200, John Pinkman wrote:
> This is a story how powerful can tor make an otherwise vulnerable to
>legal repercussions website.

I agree with Lunar here -- this is a story of some jerk on the Internet,
and Tor is barely in the picture.

(One could argue that without Tor's hidden service feature, websites
like this would not exist. But I think that's demonstrably not true,
given all the websites like this in the world that don't use Tor hidden
services. See also the tail end of the discussion about Farmer's Market at
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/trip-report-october-fbi-conference

If all the world were one jurisdiction, then we could start to talk
about how to handle edge cases like this one. But of course that scenario
would have problems of its own.)

For those who want to read about a related, but different, topic in a
different culture, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flesh_search_engine

--Roger