[tor-talk] getting Tor to be default browser

I've just started using the Tor Browser and like it a lot.  I have "Always check if Tor Browser is your default browser" checked, but it won't become default.  Firefox stays default, even though I have "Always check if Firefox is your default browser" unchecked in the Firefox options.  This is with Tor Browser 6.0.4 on Windows XP.  Any ideas how I can make Tor be the default?

Also, is there a way to search the tor-talk archives?  The interface at https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk that only allows opening one month at a time makes searching impractical.

Thanks for any help you can provide.