Re: [tor-talk] Deploying Alt-Svc on your own website. Hello?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:28:19 +0100
Ben Tasker <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Which part are you struggling with?
>
> The following is assuming you've got a site - www.example.com - that's
> accessible at 1234.onion.
>
> Configure your nginx server block (or apache config) for www.example.com to
> include an Alt-Svc header to advertise the onion:
>
>  Alt-Svc: h2="1234.onion:443"; ma=3600; persist=1

Well for instance my backend server is HTTP/1.1 only. I do run a nginx
frontend to it for HTTP/2, but due to a number of reasons I want Tor's hidden
service to point at the backend directly.

For whatever reason everyone just assumes all web servers are HTTP/2 now, and
uses "h2" like you do. What to use in case of 1.1? It almost feels like nobody
actually knows and everyone just keep reposting the same "h2" examples they
saw on the Internet.

And most importantly, how to test that the header I serve is valid and it all
actually works? I suppose there isn't any online test suite like there's
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ for general HTTPS. If not, for testing do I
load the clearnet site in the Tor browser aaaaaand then expect what to happen?
(Is there any indication in the UI that alt-svc is being used)

--
With respect,
Roman