Re: [tor-talk] Bridge and Hidden service

On 09/27/2018 12:45 PM, MegaBrutal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I'm about to run a Hidden service, can I run it on a bridge node,
> or at least on the same IP as a bridge node without uncovering the
> bridge node?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> Maybe it boils down to the question whether a node that serves a
> Hidden service has to be a public Tor node. If it has to be public, it
> spoils the IP.

Does "node that serves a Hidden service" mean the machine that's running
the web server or whatever, or the machine that's serving as its Tor
guard? Normally, machines running .onion web servers _never_ reveal
their public IP addresses, and indeed, shouldn't even have them.

Guards for .onion server are typically public guards. However, you can
use your own bridge, and not publish it.

> Moreover, can I make a Tor node to only serve the Hidden service and
> not to relay regular Tor traffic? I mean, my node should only serve
> incoming traffic to the Hidden service.

If we're talking about a private bridge, yes. You can just not tell
anyone about it, and so it will only serve as a guard for your .onion.

Also, just to be clear, it's a bad idea to run an .onion web server on
the same machine as a Tor relay, even a private guard.