Re^2: GUI draft - keyboard buffer

Hi Christof,

CB> > used for text input and eventually also keyboard shortcuts. It is
CB> > definitely not suited to serve clients requiring raw keyboard status
CB> > (e.g. the movement control of a 3D shooter).</p>

CB> BTW: I promise to give you a working (X11 only) library ASAP. I just
CB> don't know, how much time I will have in the next days.

Actually I won't work with actual code too soon. First I have to solve
some problems in the design draft, then I'll design the interfaces and
_then_ I'll start coding.

So take yout time ;)

CB> > problem can be solved using something like a invisible "shortcut
CB> > widget". I'll keep you informed.</p>
CB>
CB> What about this: If I make it possible to define more than one handler
CB> for the events, the program could still track the keyboard-events while
CB> the GUI is active. The problem is that the game has to decide, whether
CB> the key is meant as a shortcut, or as text input.

Hmmm, for widget shortcuts it's easy - the GUI would just ask every widget
whether it accepts the shortcut. Shortcuts for other parts could be
handled as you proposed.

But I'd say we shouldn't give the game raw keyboard events for that but
"propable shortcut" events. Or we just let the game tell us at
initialization time what shortcut(s) which part is waiting for...

Cu
        Christian

Christian Reiniger (Germany)
e-mail: warewolf@chris2.mayn.de