Re: C++ Blues.

Hi,

> Mikko Torni wrote:
> >         If you subclass something, and then "overwrite" one of the
> >         functions, you don't want the original function to be called,
> >         now do you?
>
> What about this case???

[crunch]

> Here it makes a kindof sense to overwrite the functions. You can move a
> camera, you can move 'its' viewport.

> > But I think it is consistent, and rational.
>
> I am not sure that is the case, however at the same time I am sure that
> Stroustrup, et al did this for a good reason,

Yeah. And 95% of microsoft users can't be wrong. Already heard that kind
of arguments.
Sorry to differ, but having done heavy C++ for years proved me that
C++ is much more often wrong than right (by comparison to Objective-C,
smalltalk or dylan)

> if indeed this behavior is
> in the standard.

I think I was clear about this issue.

> I have been unable to find anything on the topic in his
> book "C++ Programming Language" 3rd Edition.

So what ?

> Definitely a question for the C++ gurus.

The case comes up often when you do non-trivial C++. It is not something
I would call obscure.

The C++ lite FAQ item 23.3
<http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/C%2b%2b-FAQs-Lite/strange-inheritance.html>
is just about it.

C++ second draft standard item 13.2 is about the very same topic.

Cheers,

--fred