Re: OpenGL+GLUT the future

---Adrian Ratnapala <s369625@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> ...a layer over glut.  It was _slow_...

Whoa, MesaGL is slow, esp. for software rendering. GLUT however is not
slow. Your program will spend less than 0.01% of its time in GLUT.

The reason it appears so is because Mesa's software rendering
currently a bit of a dog. The LAG is due to the MesaGL renderer, not
GLUT.

> The Mesa people will optimize the 2d functions,
> and hardware will get faster.  But it will still be
> big and slow.

Would it not be better to assist MesaGL, which will have the advantage
of hardware optimisation where avaliable, rather than yet another 3d
graphics api?

With pure 2d it is a bit of an issue, but we already have ggi or X11
to fill that particular need on Linux.
==
--
Paul Matthews