Installation-issues

I was wondering what is the policy regarding installation of software
nowadays. More specificly, where should software packages install
themselves? I'm doing the final touches on a package right now and need
some input. I have a lot of includes thet the user needs to access, two
shared libraries as well as static versions of these, some binaries, a lot
of samples, documentation (html), man-pages and so on. I have two options
that I've found to be ok :

1. Drop it all on / and let it flow down to /usr/lib, /usr/bin,
/etc, /usr/include, /usr/doc and so on. Easiest way for the application
programmer who uses my system, but bad as it fills up /usr.

2. Create an directory in /opt and put it all there. Very easy for me, but
harder for the application programmer, as he/she must manually tell the
compiler where the libs & includes that will be used reside.

The system in question here is 'Zombie', or basically a totally
reincarnated version. Any ideas as to what should be done? What's the PP
policy on this matter?

  Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm   |  CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
 Linux Inside since '94 |      chakie@infa.abo.fi, jekholm@abo.fi