Re: Again the Licensing issue...

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I think we should now definitely decide on the license of our libraries, as
> long as we donīt have very much code and very many people involved.

Yep.

> So which of these or what other license do you prefer for or libraries?

I looked at the Mozilla PL just now.  It seems interesting.  I feel it is lessrestrictive than than LGPL or
Aritstic (which seem pretty simlar to
LGPL to me).  I haven't looked at it closely though.

On the pro side, the license is quite carefull about patent issues, which the
Artistic doesn't seem to mention.

On odd think in the liscene is that any changes to existing source files (inluding
name changes etc.) are considered modifications and is covered by the license,
the addition of a new file is not considered a modification, and you can do what
you will with it (although the hooks you put into the rest of the code _for_ the new
file _are_ modifications).

I _think_ this is to allow for commercial operators to distribute propritetry drivers
or filters and the such like.  Still for techinical rather than legal reasons, those things
should be connected up at runtime rather than compile time.

The other thing is that MozPL doesn't cover libraries explictly.  Still I _think_ it is
OK.  I haven't checked it with a fine toothed come.

To see it, go to     www.mozilla.org   and follow the links to the Annotated Mozilla Public
License.    (Annotated means that it has "plain enlgish" explainaitions netxt to it.)