Re: Time in games and multimedia

On Fri, 1 May 1998, root of all evil wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Nescessity
>

> Animations must be timed in the strong way.
> That is,  independently of the frame rate.

> Implement
>
> I made a very small librairy in C that have the self explaining
> functions:
>   - AddCountDownCall(delay_in_millisec, function_to_call)
>   - RemoveCountDown(ID_returned_by the_previous_call)
>   - CheckCountDown()
Acutally not quite.  We need a more elaborate C API anyway for things like
alarms, system signals and IO.  This would be the "low level (i.e non
GUI)" event system.  So All those three calls would have their equivilent
in an event oriented context.

In such a system, alarm events would be checked possible on the
receipt of a signal like SIGALRM and freinds, or appon a call
to the equivilent of CheckCountDown().

>   Well source code in C for the alarms are on my hard disk for now.
>   Tell me if you want them.
>   Maybe GSDK need a General Section.
YES.